Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Spiderwick Chronicles Book 1: The Field Guide

Authors: Tony DiTerlizzi & Holly Black
Year: 2003
Age Level: Intermediate
Genre: Real world fantasy
Series: The Spiderwick Chronicles

Plot Summary: After his family moves to the run-down Spiderwick estate, it's not long before Jared Grace starts to notice unusual things around the house. Jared, his twin brother, Simon, and his older sister, Mallory, decide to find the source of scratching noises behind the wall ("Probably a squirrel."). In the process, Jared discovers much more than a lost squirrel and finds himself battling a sneaky, mischievous foe.

Red Flag: Since this is only the first of five books, the ending is somewhat open.

Movie version/s: The Spiderwick Chronicles
My rating: A-
This was a really fun book. I feel like I've just tipped my toe in the water, so to speak, and so I will definitely be picking up the next book. I also really liked the illustrations. Just judging by the covers, I expected it to be much more of a Series of Unfortunate Events knockoff, but it really wasn't similar at all.

No comments: