Sunday, September 21, 2008

An Abundance of Katherines

Author: John Green
Year: 2006
Age Level: Young Adult
Genre: Novel

Plot Summary: Colin Singleton is a "washed-up child prodigy" who has just been dumped by a Katherine for the nineteenth time. In an effort to distract him, Colin's best friend, Hassan, instigates a roadtrip adventure. It's not long before the two find themselves in Gutshot, Tennessee, looking for the grave of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand and making friends with the locals. Colin and Hassan take up residence in a pink mansion and experience all the drama and teenage antics Gutshot have to offer, while Colin tries to explain his dumping-by-Katherines history with mathematics.

Red Flags: Language, some sexual content, some math talk

My Rating: B+
I'm lukewarm about a lot of this book. The story and setting is fun enough, and some of the characters are interesting. I guess I just don't relate to it much because this was nothing like my teenage experience, and the book seems like it's supposed to reflect the average teenager. Anyway. I did really like Colin by the end of it though, and the whole resolution of the story was pretty satisfying, if predictable.

2 comments:

Professor Chaos said...

I'm curious where you draw the line to warn of "sexual content." You commented that there was a lot in Twilight, while Kate says there wasn't much, and I'm not going to read the book to find out. I really am neutral to it as long as it actually furthers the plot and isn't graphical at a level that makes such content not fit well with the tone of the book (for example, the amount of sex in Fight Club was entirely appropriate to the book, while the abundant, very detailed scenes in Red Mars were distracting). Knowing how much you mean when you warn of it would be good for reference.

ferskner said...

Is it bad when I read "Archduke Franz Ferdinand", the first thing I thought was "you're so lucky, lucky lucky..."?

Math talk is definitely a red flag.