Sunday, September 21, 2008

Coraline

Author: Neil Gaiman
Year: 2002
Reading Level: Intermediate
Genre: Real world fantasy

Plot Summary: Coraline loves exploring and she has plenty of time to explore her family's new flat, which is part of a larger house. In the course of her exploring she opens a door that leads to nothing...or so it seems. Soon she discovers an other world on the other side with other versions of her parents and neighbors. Her other parents adore her to a creepy extent and though they let her leave the first time, leaving the second time isn't so easy.

Red Flags: The story would scare some kids

Movie version: Coraline
My Rating: A-
This was such a spooky book! Ominous messages from mice, button eyes, shadowy things...spooky! This is probably my favorite Gaiman book that I've read. I really like the story and Coraline, though I wish we got into her head a little more. She says she's scared, but I don't always believe her. Also, I liked the cat.

4 comments:

Professor Chaos said...

Cool. Gaiman is on my list of authors to read in the future, maybe I'll have to bump him up.

ferskner said...

I SSSSOOOOO need to read this.

Unknown said...

I loved this one1 It was totally spooky. They are making a movie out of it, and I think I may buy it and have Neil Gaiman sign it as I will see him tomorrow at the Library of Congress National Book Fair. :)

Jules said...

Prof.: Yeah, bump it up! It won't take you long to read at all.

Ferskner: You totally do! I think you would really like it. Also, we need to watch Mirrormask.

Dolcezza: I'm excited to see the movie. I hope it is just as spooky as the book. Did you get your book signed??