Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book?

Author/Illustrator: Lauren Child
Year: 2003
Reading Level: Picture book (4-8)

Plot Summary: Herb likes to read books all the time, and one night Herb falls asleep while reading a book of fairy tales. Strangely enough, Herb wakes up in the book, and its inhabitants aren't too happy with how he's treated their book. Prince Charming is missing, the Queen has a mustache and the Stepmother's house is upside down. But before he can fix the book, Herb has to get out--luckily he has Cinderella to help him.

My Rating: A-. I'm a little torn about this book. For myself, I enjoyed it. It was fun and creative. One of my favorite things was that Herb had drawn a telephone on each page so at one point Cinderella picks up the phone. On the other hand, I think younger kids would have a hard time with it because there is so much going on. The pictures aren't super easy to follow along with, even though they're fun to look at it and the text (intentionally) goes all over the place.

No comments: