Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Outsiders

Author: S.E. Hinton
Year: 1967
Genre: novel/realistic fiction
Reading Level: Young Adult

Plot Summary: Fourteen-year-old Ponyboy Curtis lives with his older brothers after their parents' deaths, the youngest member of the gang they've formed with their closest friends. Though their lives are rough and tumble, Ponyboy and his friend Johnny try to defy their hoodlum stereotype. After a violent encounter with a rival gang, however, Ponyboy and Johnny struggle to adjust to the drama and tragedy that follows.

Red Flags: teen drinking and smoking, some violence, character deaths

Movie Version: The Outsiders

My Rating: A-. I didn't love it, but I think it was a good book. It's just not really my genre or a time period that interests me. Besides that, though, the writing was solid and the characters rang true. The story was a little slow moving, but not to the point of frustration.

No comments: