Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Runaway Ralph

Author: Beverly Cleary
Year: 1970
Reading Level: Intermediate
Genre: Real world fantasy
Series: Mouse and the Motorcycle

Plot Summary: Fed up with living with his pesky younger cousins and nagging relatives, Ralph leaves the rustic inn that is his home and strikes out for freedom on the open road. After a long journey on his trusty motorcycle, Ralph finds himself at the Happy Acres summer camp. His freedom is short lived, however, as he soon finds himself shut in a wire cage with only a cynical hamster for company. In a bid for his freedom, Ralph launches a desperate escape plan, but the camp's cat isn't so keen on letting him go.

Red Flags: None

My Rating: B+. I loved and still love The Mouse and the Motorcycle, and while this one isn't as good, I still love the idea of a mouse being able to ride a motorcycle just by making the sound. About 3/4 of the way through I started to wonder if I've read this one before, or if I'm thinking of Ralph S. Mouse. Or did I read them both? I have no idea.

No comments: